Wednesday 15 July 2015

WHY I SLEEP NOT-By Lydia Ireri



I keep watch the entire night
Waiting for the dawn in Africa
I crow before the cocks
My melody painting the
Juicy air long before the birds

I wonder when I shall hold this new born baby boy in my tired arms
I long to hold him though the father is busy in the mines
He comes back home tired and hungry
And I feed and massage him instead
But I keep asking myself
Till when shall keep the diapers ready?

I have long kept the field ready
Over the decades have I waited for the rainfall
Praying that my grade seed’s expiry date tarry
For the summer has covered the rainfall
And my seeds have almost lost the patience
Their shape unsucculent

May be the dawn is nearer
Because Otieno married Muthoni last week
May be my tummy is swollen
Because the scarlet floods disappeared in May
May be the earth will be watered
Since the heavens are pregnant
May be my lids shall shut at dawn
Even if it is for half a second
Here in Africa!





No comments: