Monday 3 August 2015

MY DARK SON O’ BARACK-By Lydia Ireri




Son
I want to tell you a story
A story of the black son
From a dark womb
Born in a dark land
Blend in a dark pot
Who came back yesterday
Carrying the light from the world

Son
I had a son before your breath
His name was Dr.Luther King Junior
He was a promising son
A torch-bearer in this dark family
But just before he could walk
A thunder struck him on rainy day
When we had gathered in a public ground
To elect a dark leader
All saw him kick the last
For it was in an a open field
Waiting to vote
On a market day

My heart was crushed son
Reduced to a tot’s dot
My fertility died in a flash
I wept till night
For the unfare gods
Had robbed me him
Robbed us light
In the dark land

I despised all males
Who promised me a son
After your brother was struck
Struck by the gods may be

Just before the cock crowed
I remembered what your brother once told me
‘Ma’ bring home my brother from the market’


Before the horizons were painted scarlet
Same night
I woke him up
The man I shared a bed with
On my safe days though
Because I wanted a son
Brother to Luther
His name
Barack O’

The sun rose faster than the clock’s tick
And you were conceived
Later you came out
Lifting your hand high
A white hand
From a dark womb

I knew you were special
For I wanted you son
Your brother wanted you too
How you were conceived
Was special son
How you came out
Was special too
How you grew up
Was special too
How you got education
Was special too
Because you are a dark son
With a light brain

Son your recent home coming
Made my breast firm again
Just like they were
When I was fifteen
My youth was
 Rebirthed
Renewed
Just like an eagle from hibernation
You have made my black skin
The World’s Icon
For
My son was the first son
To return home
On the wings of a youthful eagle
From a white land

You rode on a white horse
Waving to the black soil
The black soil that conceived you son
The soil that you ate growing up
Son
Ma’is proud of you
Ma’ is pregnant again

I hear you have assembled all
All your uncles and aunts sons and daughters
I hear you train them
To be strong like tata madiba
May his soul rest in peace!
Son
I hear you call them YALI
I first thought it was wali
Even if I know not what it is
I suppose it is more delicious
Than the wali I cooked for your father

Long live my son
The son of a dark woman
From a black land
Because
You have made my womb white
Whiter than snow son
You have made me shine
More than the bright star
I bless thee son
On this your Jubelee add four birthday
I bless the seed of your loins
May the heavens double and triple your days and seeds
To see YALI stand tall
Taller than you son
Here in my whitened womb
Africa!
4th/08/2015.

No comments: